July 23rd, of 2020 will go down in History (pun-intended) for many reasons, which we will list below. The One Direction fandom celebrated the band’s 10th anniversary all over the globe and achieved some really incredible things in the process!
Guinness World Records posted this on Twitter:
In the #10YearsOfOneDirection – the band has held records for most followed band on Instagram and Twitter, most subscribed band on @YouTube and became the first UK group to reach number one in the USA with their debut album. pic.twitter.com/pNX8W6kIol
— GuinnessWorldRecords (@GWR) July 23, 2020
In typical Directioner fashion, we crashed the One Direction anniversary website for days on end, crashed radio station websites with 1D content, and trended SO many things online. Here are some stats for incredible things that happened over the anniversary week:
- Harry Styles hit 30 million followers on Instagram
- Harry’s anniversary post surpassed 8 million likes on Instagram, becoming the most liked post on his page. (It hit 1 million likes in just 10 minutes.)
- Louis Tomlinson’s anniversary post surpassed 5 million likes on Instagram, becoming his most-liked post ever on the platform.
- According to Simon Jones PR, the One Direction anniversary website has gained 75 million page views so far. This the largest One Direction online event in history, the previous being 9 million page views in one week for the ‘One Big Announcement’ in 2013.
- On the anniversary day, 1D had 55 million global streams of their music. On the Spotify platform alone, One Direction was the No. 1 most-streamed artist globally with over 47 million listens — their biggest ever streaming day.
- Harry broke the record for the fastest tweet to reach 1 million likes on Twitter in just a few minutes over an hour. This surpassed the record previously held by BTS member, Jungkook, of 2 hours.
- To date, the band’s content on Tik Tok has gained over 42.5 million views.
- The anniversary YouTube video premiere received 1.1 million concurrent views, making it the biggest premiere in years. To date, there have been over 14 million views.
- This tweet is now among the Top 20 Most Retweeted Tweets Of All Time:
— One Direction (@onedirection) July 22, 2020
- On July 23rd alone, the band account saw the fastest ever Instagram follower increase recorded: 2 million new follows, in less than 24 hours.
- As of today, the band’s Instagram has 20.7 million followers. Only 6 days ago, the number was 18.4 million.
Congratulations to every fan who made this happen. Even with 1D on hiatus for almost as much time as they were together, Directioners continue to break records like never before. At the end of the day, the motivation for these achievements isn’t merely a ‘numbers-game’, but a loving appreciation for the music and band-members that soundtracked significant portions of our own lives.
It just goes to show how much the band still means to so many people, after all this time.