39 things we learned about Zayn in his Call Her Daddy interview
Zayn opened up to Alex Cooper during an intimate one-on-one interview.
In what Zayn mentioned was his first interview in six years, the singer-songwriter joined host Alex Cooper for an exclusive sit-down interview for the Call Her Daddy podcast. It was recorded and filmed in Alex’s childhood home in Pennsylvania — convenient for Zayn, who also now calls Pennsylvania home.
It’s barely mid-morning and I’ve already listened to the interview twice. So here are 39 of the main takeaways:
- He gets late-night meatball subs from Wawa.
- He wakes up around noon on the days he doesn’t have his daughter.
- His main passion outside of music is art.
- He likes to cook meat and has a smoker at his house.
- He has three cats, three dogs, three turtles, and six chickens.
- One chicken died in his arms after he took it to the vet.
- His pink sphynx cat is named Dobby after the Harry Potter character.
- He has a dog named Fumper — a twist on Thumper from Bambi.
- He’s bought tampons for his sisters.
- He describes himself as a cheeky, mischievous kid.
- He wasn’t the cool kid in school but he wasn’t bullied either.
- He joined choir because he wanted to hang around female triplets.
- He cringes whenever he sees his X Factor audition video.
- He met Harry Styles on his X Factor audition day in Manchester; they were seated next to each other.
- He looks back on his time in One Direction as “repetitive fun” that was great but ran its course.
- He still remembers the time fans popped out of garbage cans to grab him.
- He was stereotyped as the mysterious one in the band, but he just prefers to chill and relax in the back.
- There were a lot of politics going on behind the scenes of the band when Zayn left.
- He wanted to leave One Direction first so he could be the first to release solo music.
- The first thing he did when he left the band was call his mom and ask if she had a place for him to sleep.
- He took time off from press and media because he felt overexposed in the band and wanted to find his own identity.
- He wants his solo music to show people that he has more depth.
- The three words he’d use to describe himself are chill, funny, and loving.
- His favorite thing about himself is that he’s witty and smart.
- His least favorite thing about himself is that he’s sensitive at times and can take things the wrong way.
- His new album will have some sad songs.
- The biggest misunderstanding about him is that he’s so serious.
- He wants to achieve and overcome things so his daughter sees him as a good example.
- He enjoyed the feeling of anticipation and adrenaline of performing on stage as a kid.
- Not being able to do “normal things” gave him anxiety in One Direction.
- He tells dad jokes.
- His daughter shows a lot of musical abilities already and they sing Disney songs together.
- His daughter is like him in that she’s funny, chill, and loves reading.
- He believes the most valuable thing he has in life is time.
- “Love Like This” is a summery song.
- He feels like he has something to give and is ready to get back on stage.
- He’s super thankful for his supportive fanbase.
- There are songs inspired by his daughter on the new album.
- Now that he’s had a break, people are going to be seeing him a lot more.
Zayn’s newest single “Love Like This” drops July 21.